We need to find new ways to talk to people about social issues. Ways that don't involve papier mache phalluses or pressure groups or smug superiority. We need to take a third position; the republican position is wrong and the democratic position doesn't work. I'm convinced that this is primarily a failure of communication. The republicans are better at doing this than we are, and we need to catch up.
1. Instead of talking about seperation of church and state, perhaps we should talk about keeping the government out of your church...do you want uncle sam telling you how to worship? sure, it's just faith based initiatives now, but how long until they want something back? How much worldly participation can religion take before it becomes as tainted as politics? Do you want to put your soul in the hands of Trent Lott? Do you want the state telling your kid how to pray?
2. Why should the state have anything to do with marraige in the first place? Isn't that a religious matter? If civil marraige were abolished, then your church could deny marriage to whoever they want. Besides, why should people get a tax break just for being in a stable relationship, or rather, why shouldn't everyone get that tax break?
3. Isn't the best way to prevent abortion by educating people? Why are Republicans against sex education in the schools when it could concievably reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies?
4. How would Jesus want convicts to be treated? Where is the mercy in our justice system?
5. Your family has lived here for generations. It's beautiful and you love it here. Do you want your kids to be able to enjoy it too? Do you think it's right that Republicans think that if a corporation wanted to use the land next to it to store millions of gallons of pig waste that they should be able to do that without any oversight? Do you want to fish in a lake that's been poisoned or hunt in a forest that's been turned into a toxic waste dump?
and, crucially, we need to make poverty and health care MORAL ISSUES. We need to argue that no nation that allows children to starve to death or people with treatable illnesses to die because they can't afford insurance can truly call itself a christian nation or a moral nation.